Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

[Gaming] An Unused Play By Web Character-

This was for a supposed 'Pirate' game that turned out to be an excuse for someone's sexual fantasies, prompting me to drop it like a stone.
--What a waste.

Character (c) Copyright 2007 Kyrinn S. Eis

Dame Raquel Malfoy-

The Dame stands 5'6" and still retains her dancer's figure. She is wont to wear a reinforced bodice regardless of her other elements of dress. While she is entirely comfortable in proper society, amongst lessers she scandalously wears trousers of buckskin leather, and the high, soft boots en vogue with musketeers.

Upon her hips are crossed belts, one which hangs with the trusty rapier she often makes final negotiations, and the other with its sister main gauche parrying blade/sword breaker.

Her descent is perhaps Alsatian, as it clearly favours more Germanic features than Gaulic. However, her French is flawless and harkens to Provence. Her Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, and Scots Gaelic are also all flavoured with native accents. The few who have ever heard her speak German may have realised a more Boehm-inflection before their death.
When the Dame speaks English, it is with a noticeable French accent. Her Latin is Classical.


The Dame's ship is named, Nephthys, and is a shallow-draught, mixed-rigging vessel with a more than reasonable cargo hold to its small crew size. It bristles with Culverin mounts and Demi-Culverin emplacements. The Dame prefers grapeshot, so as to minimise the damage to vessels she boards.

In no way does Dame Malfoy disguise her casual disregard for human life.

Her sorcery is based upon many long decades of research from such diverse sources as tribal witchdoctors of Africa, to Oriental Alchemy and Black Magic, to more commonplace Kabbalistic and Sumerian/Babylonian mysticism and theurgy.

Raquel is a false name, which is a private joke, referencing the term, Rake-hell; one who stokes the flames of hell through their wanton lifestyle. In truth, the woman has long ago abandoned carnal excess for the power she has gained through her studies and the few pacts to which she has bound herself. When she feels she needs to act the tart, or the sly woman of the world, she does so with practised skill.

Of late, after the discovery that her last child had taken to the life of a pirate, and been hanged for the offence, the Dame has begun to soften. At present, she toys with the idea of founding a nation free from all social constraints, where all humans, even the black and red primitives and yellow heathen can live without fear of the Church. She has Florida in mind for this notion, and has made inroads to deal with the pirates which frequent the so-called Keys, and the Ten Thousand Islands of the south-west of the peninsula.

11 comments:

  1. Truly a waste. What system was it for? Perhaps the Dame will sail again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to see such a character go to waste. I have had a few that fell in similar circumstances. Luckily they now live as NPC's in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sexual Fantasies" = different type of role-playing.

    Though not necessarily one mutually exclusive of the pirate genre.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. @All: Thanks!

    @Ryan: It was a freeform 'RPG' at www.playbyweb.com . It was advertised in such a way so as to sound more like a 'Fantasy Pirate' game than a 'Pirate Fantasy' one.
    --I'd like to use the character in something like Flashing Blades, Pirates and Plunder, or at most, Bloode Isle, because 7th Sea is already fantastical, whereas the previous three are not 'expecting' a fantasy element.

    @Josh: I wonder if this is perhaps where a future UWoM adventure ought to be directed. It certainly fits in with a bit the Playtest Group already experienced with their bloody take-over of a massive pirate vessel.

    @JB: While I love me a sassy pirate wench as much as the next...um, person, a game in which the appetiser was hot chix spanking each other until an enemy ship was spotted was just a bit too much of a departure for what I had planned on.
    --Truth be told, even if I had known the main 'thrust' of the game to be that, I don't think I'd want to game that sort of stuff with strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry.
    --That should read: Bloode Island, by Precis Intermedia (formerly Politically Incorrect Games) http://www.pigames.net/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=56

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever read any of REH's Dark Agnes stories? This character reminds me a little of her, at least in spirit. Pretty good stuff, and I think a lot more "badass" than Jirel, even though I think Jirel is still an excellent character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Badelaire: Don't think too poorly of me: I've never read any Robert E. Howard. :(
    --I feel that I ought, though. Enough folk that I have some respect for seem to hold him in high enough regard that I feel I am missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I've never read any Robert E. Howard."

    I don't understand this sentence. Can one even use these words together in this manner?

    ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me get this straight. You were 'playing' this character, and your fellow players did this to you? Man, that is some serious disrespect. I only play with friends, sometimes we joke about stuff like that, but certainly not with a stranger. When someone new comes to the table, I'm more conserned about their strengths and their weaknesses which they bring with them. How good of a player are they. When I am DMing a new player, I try to get a feel for what they want or need from me down the road that will help me improve their game.

    Sex does have its place at the table! I believe that, however the game comes first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Ripper X: The game was new, but had at least one established PC. I gather the PC and GM were in on the plan from the beginning. It may not have been nefarious, but it did seem like a bit of false advertising.

    Since it wasn't Face to Face, it was easier for the game to sucker me in.
    --If I'd have created a character at a table and then found out that it was some sort of ... romp, I'd have been a tad more miffed. As it was, I simply pulled my character from the stable of PCs and that was that.

    Regarding sex in the game context: I've certainly run my share of sexually-charged games in my teen years, but have found that as folks aged and actually had sex on some sort of basis, it became more of a, "and you take the partner up to your room and close the door..." sort of thing.
    --I'm good with that, as my sexual interests are perhaps mere titillation (boy, this is a double-entendre laden post) for male players, and eye brow raisers for straighter female players. Truth be told I'd prefer not to hear what that barbarian and the wench are up to. ;)

    Thanks for your concern! :D

    ReplyDelete